5 Overlooked Car Maintenance Services
When was the last time you visited your mechanic for routine maintenance other than an oil change?
If the answer is “rarely” or “I don’t remember”, don’t worry. You aren’t alone.
The standard Oil Change is what’s been drilled into our brains since before we even owned our first car. Unfortunately, other maintenance items that keep our cars running smoothly, were not.
So, for your education, here are some of the most overlooked car maintenance items that you should request to be inspected next time you stop in for your Oil Change.
- Air Filter: Most vehicles have two types of Air Filters. One for the Engine and a Cabin Air filter. The latter filters the air that comes from the outside into your cabin area. If this one gets too dirty, not only will the inside of your vehicle begin to smell stale, but bacteria, dust and allergens will build up and make their way into your cabin too.
- Transmission Fluid: Yup. Your Transmission has fluid just like your engine, and it also needs to be changed regularly. If not, then it will also begin to lock up, just like your engine. Your manual will be able to tell you just how often you should get your Transmission Fluid changed.
- Brake System: The very thing that controls your ability to come to a stop. Brake Pads and Rotors are often neglected and the longer you neglect them, the more damage you will see. Brake Pads and Rotors can get expensive by themselves, but if you go too long and cause damage to your calipers, you can expect an extra hefty bill. So, next time you see your mechanic, make sure to ask the tech to take a look at your brakes. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Tires: Your Tires can tell you a lot about your car just by looking at the tread. Maybe the wear is uneven? That could indicate some suspension parts are starting to wear. Maybe your tires are underinflated from the cold weather. This would cause your tires to wear on the edges.
- Alignment: Wheel Alignment is often overlooked in terms of overall maintenance, despite the fact that it is very important to the overall health of your vehicle. If your vehicle is out of alignment then you could wind up with uneven tire wear, which could cause one side to go bad prematurely. Improper Wheel Alignment can also lead to higher fuel consumption, which is not something you want to deal with, especially when prices are in excess of $3.00 a gallon.
Some Automotive Maintenance and Repair Shops will check these items for free whenever you stop in for your regular Oil Change. Pugh’s Automotive Service in Dover, DE provides a Free 30-Point Inspection that covers the condition of the Air Filters, Transmission Fluid, Brake System components, Tires, and your Alignment. The customer is always provided a copy with our findings at the completion of Service, free of charge.
Think your vehicle may need to be checked over for some extra TLC? Give us a call at (302)734-4231 or schedule online at www.pughsservice.com!